Monday, July 14, 2008

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme...





With the price of produce rising at an alarming pace, along with most other items in the grocery store these days, I decided to take matters into my own hands this summer. Back in May, I ventured out to Home Depot and purchased a few herb plants. I just hate when you need a few sprigs of fresh rosemary for a recipe and you have to pay $3.99 a packet for more than you need. I love cooking with fresh herbs, they just add so much vibrant flavor to any dish. And lucky for me, growing fresh herbs really couldn't be easier. You can start them from seeds, but I took the sure-fire success route and just bought already started plants. I potted them in bigger pots with potting soil, placed them in a spot that gets good sunlight, and keep them watered daily. And voila!! Fresh herbs at my disposal. I planted rosemary, oregano, Italian parsley and basil. All four have grown quite lush and give off the nicest aroma on my small little plot of concrete. I have had the pleasure of adding them to fresh vegetables, grilled meats and vegetables, dips, marinades, salad dressings - and the list goes on. I have even taken some rosemary and oregano and placed them in some olive oil to create an infusion. The possibilities are endless! And much less expensive than buying them from the store. The unused portions don't go to waste - they keep on growing! Next year, I think I'll add thyme, sage and cilantro to my collection. It's going to be an absolute herb bonanza :) So don't be afraid to grow your own herbs, even if you don't cook with fresh herbs! They grow easily and quickly and smell heavenly.

No comments: