Monday, January 5, 2009

Farewell Holidays! (And Eggnog Cheesecake)

Well, Christmas 2008 is over. It was a whirlwind holiday that seemed to pass quicker than any in previous years. Why? I really don't know. Probably because I'm getting older and starting to say things like, "Where has the time gone? I remember just yesterday..." Over the holiday, I saw children I used to babysit for and pulled out that old line I never thought I'd use, "I remember when you were this big!". I know they don't care and they just roll their eyes, but I still can't help but let these words escape my lips! Oh well.
So to say farewell to the holiday season yet again, here is one last holiday recipe along with a few pictures of our poor tortured cats who we dressed in a santa suit.
Photobucket
This is Sawyer, our ham. He's such a good model!
Photobucket
This is Darby, who doesn't ever sit still, so I had to hold him for a photo.
Photobucket
This is Mia. She is sneaking toward the tree to put out presents :)

And for your culinary pleasure, an Eggnog Cheesecake with a Gingersnap Cookie Crust . I baked this for the final holiday get together of the season for me, which was on Saturday. My aunt had a dinner party with about 20 guests. This cheesecake was a hit. Someone even asked me if I baked it in a water bath because it was so light and fluffy. I didn't.
I found the recipe online and it was perfect. So stockpile this one away for Christmas 2009. It'll be here before you know it because, as I seem to always be saying nowadays, time really flies!

Also, excuse the poor photos. I had to snap them quickly before my aunt laid the cake on the table. Then I had to snap a quick one of the last piece before it was gone!

Eggnog Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust
source: Southern Living, October 2007
Photobucket
12 ounces gingersnaps (about 48 cookies), finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
32 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (I used FULL FAT cream cheese because I wouldn't bake a cheesecake with anything less. It's a cheesecake, not diet food!)
4 large eggs
2 cups refrigerated or canned eggnog, divided
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup whipping cream
Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg
Preparation

Stir together first 3 ingredients; press mixture onto bottom of a 10-inch springform pan.

Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add 1 1/2 cups eggnog, and beat until blended. Fold in 2 cups powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp. flour; carefully pour cream cheese mixture into prepared pan.

Bake at 325° for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Let cheesecake stand in oven, with door closed, 1 hour. Remove to wire rack, and let cool completely. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold in remaining 1/2 cup eggnog. Spread mixture evenly over top of chilled cheesecake, and garnish, if desired.
Photobucket

8 comments:

Cate said...

This looks unebelievably perfect for next year's Christmas. I'm taking a little break from baking right now because I think I might explode - but for next year, this is first in line!

cakeflower said...

I made an eggnog cheesecake too but replaced all of the cream with eggnog...I think I should have done what you did...I love the idea of the gingersnap crust too...yours is beautiful!!

That Girl said...

Your cats are so patient. Mine would never let me dress him up!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE SANTA KITTIES! That is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. And that cheesecake looks delicious. My husband's mom's family has a tradition of making eggnog from their grandmother's original recipe every Christmas. She died a few years ago and they carry on each holiday. I bet they'd love that cheesecake!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, your cats are too cute! :) The cheesecake recipe is definitely getting added to my list of things I will make someday.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

You cats are *adorable!* This cheesecake sounds delicious and I hope to try this for next year. I failed to pick up some eggnog while it was available this past holiday - bummer!

Colleen said...

Ooh this looks divine - I love the flavors!

Ellie said...

I am definitely bookmarking this one for next year's holiday season - this looks amazing!!!