Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mexican Quiche

I threw this recipe together one evening by basically cleaning out my fridge and pantry. I knew I wanted something with Mexican flavors, but I wasn't feeling the usual fajitas or quesadillas. I had some leftover homemade pie crusts in the freezer and it dawned on me - Mexican quiche! Why not? I combined sausage, black beans, spinach, cheese, salsa, onions, peppers and spices to come up with a pretty hearty pie. It's not a traditional quiche by any means - it uses far less eggs than a usual quiche, which uses twice or three times the amount of eggs that I did. But it still fit the bill to satisfy my Mexican craving and it provided perfect leftovers for lunch the next two days. Enjoy! Oh and sorry for the lame photo. I was too lazy to set up my light box and too hungry to shoot again. Oh well. You get the idea.

Mexican Quiche
Photobucket
1 pie crust (store bought or homemade)
3 links of sausage (your choice - turkey, pork or chicken), casings removed
1 small onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I think I really used more like 4 but I'm a garlic fiend)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can black beans, drained
1 10oz package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup salsa (your choice, I used ChiChi's mild)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin (You can use less if cumin isn't your thing - I like it nicely spiced though)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional for heat)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups half and half (you can use milk if you like)
sour cream (for garnish)
chopped chives or scallions (for garnish)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
First, lay out your pie crust in a deep dish pie plate - and I mean deep dish, this is one thick quiche.
Next, brown your sausage and then drain and let cool on paper towels. In a skillet, saute your onions, peppers and garlic with the olive oil. Once softened, remove to a large bowl. Add your sausage and the rest of your ingredients, except your eggs and half and half.
Mix the sausage, bean, spinach, cheese and onion mixture well and disperse the salsa and spices evenly throughout the mixture. Dump the mixture into your pie plate. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and half and half. Pour the mixture over top of your quiche and distribute evenly.
Place your quiche in a preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour or until eggs are set. Keep an eye on out to prevent burning or over baking. Remove and serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkling or chopped chives or scallions. Ole!

1 comment:

Heather D said...

I want to come eat dinner at your house!